Grape(s): Pinot Noir
Localization: Gevrey-Chambertin, Côte-d'Or, Burgundy, France
Tasting Notes: Healthy deep red. Pure aromas of blackberry, licorice, and violet. Juicy and sharply delineated, with the black fruit flavors complicated by an element of smoky torrefaction. Nicely balanced, linear village wine with good length.
The Domain: Loïc and Bernard Dugat-Py, the thirteenth generation of winemakers would like to show you their 10 ha family Domaine at Gevrey-Chambertin, in the heart of the great terroirs of Burgundy.
The Dugat family have been winegrowers in the Gevrey-Chambertin appellation since the beginning of the 17th century. Bernard Dugat and his son, Loîc are the 12th and 13th generation to exploit the unique knowledge of wine-making and working in the vines, which has been acquired over four centuries.
Important dates :
- 1645 : Birth of Hugues Bollenot, son of Etienne Bollenot, winegrower in the Finage de Gevrey Chambertin (Gevrey Chambertin appellation).
- 1923: Fernand Dugat marries Jeanne Bolnot, resulting in the creation of the Dugat Domaine.
- 1972: Pierre and Michèle Dugat, (Bernard Dugat’s parents) win the prize of the Tasse d’Or, given by Alexis Lechine. Their Charmes-Chambertin won the prize for the best red Grand Cru in the 1972 vintage.
- 1975: Bernard Dugat’s first vinification and first purchase of vines.
- 1994: Domaine Dugat-Py is created, by adding the maiden name of Jocelyne, Bernard's wife. They were married in 1979.
- 1996: Loïc becomes part of the Domaine, at the same time as following lessons at University, and working on work placement with other winegrowers.
- 1999: First year of going organic in the Chambertin plot, as well as for the vines in Coeur de Roy.
- 2003: The Domaine goes totally organic (Biologique).
Acquisition of 2 plots in Côte de Beaune; Pommard and Meursault Blanc.
- 2004: Renovation and creation of new winery.
Acquisition of a plot of vines in Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot Blanc.
- 2006: Horse drawn ploughing in several plots: Chambertin, Mazis-Chambertin, 1er Cru Fonteny and Les Evocelles.
- 2009: New vines (parcelle) in Les Evocelles.
- 2011: New plots of vines in Corton Charlemagne and Pernand Vergelesses 1er Cru Sous Frétille.