Grape(s): Pinot Noir
Localization: Gevrey-Chambertin, Côte-d'Or, Burgundy, France
Tasting Notes: A substantial wine, dark in hue and infused with a strong, assertive fruit. A wine for laying down, but can be appreciated when young after carafing for several hours before serving.
93 points Burghound.com: This offers a big step up in aromatic elegance if not complexity with its aromas of red and dark berry, plum, floral scents, and plenty of spice nuances. There is a savage character to the detailed and mineral-driven medium-bodied flavors that possess excellent drive and balance on the strikingly complex finish. This is a Gevrey 1er of relative refinement as the supporting tannins are quite fine.
The Domain: Loïc and Bernard Dugat-Py, the thirteenth generation of winemakers would like to show you their 10 ha family Domaine at Gevrey-Chambertin, in the heart of the great terroirs of Burgundy.
The Dugat family have been winegrowers in the Gevrey-Chambertin appellation since the beginning of the 17th century. Bernard Dugat and his son, Loîc are the 12th and 13th generation to exploit the unique knowledge of wine-making and working in the vines, which has been acquired over four centuries.
Important dates :
- 1645 : Birth of Hugues Bollenot, son of Etienne Bollenot, winegrower in the Finage de Gevrey Chambertin (Gevrey Chambertin appellation).
- 1923: Fernand Dugat marries Jeanne Bolnot, resulting in the creation of the Dugat Domaine.
- 1972: Pierre and Michèle Dugat, (Bernard Dugat’s parents) win the prize of the Tasse d’Or, given by Alexis Lechine. Their Charmes-Chambertin won the prize for the best red Grand Cru in the 1972 vintage.
- 1975: Bernard Dugat’s first vinification and first purchase of vines.
- 1994: Domaine Dugat-Py is created, by adding the maiden name of Jocelyne, Bernard's wife. They were married in 1979.
- 1996: Loïc becomes part of the Domaine, at the same time as following lessons at University, and working on work placement with other winegrowers.
- 1999: First year of going organic in the Chambertin plot, as well as for the vines in Coeur de Roy.
- 2003: The Domaine goes totally organic (Biologique).
Acquisition of 2 plots in Côte de Beaune; Pommard and Meursault Blanc.
- 2004: Renovation and creation of new winery.
Acquisition of a plot of vines in Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot Blanc.
- 2006: Horse drawn ploughing in several plots: Chambertin, Mazis-Chambertin, 1er Cru Fonteny and Les Evocelles.
- 2009: New vines (parcelle) in Les Evocelles.
- 2011: New plots of vines in Corton Charlemagne and Pernand Vergelesses 1er Cru Sous Frétille.