From “Saint Doulchard” kimmeridgian marl and limestone soils, "La Moussiere" features 100% sauvignon blanc from vines ranging from 4-40 years in age. Fermented partially in vats and partially in new half-hogsheads for 8-10 months, spending 7-8 months on fine lees.
We are the only estate in Sancerrois to have the prestigious “hors concours” (beyond competition) distinction bestowed upon us, and the La Moussière vineyard is our cornerstone. Its terroirs, precious gifts from generations past, lie at the very heart of the Sancerre appellation.
La Moussière is the estate’s flagship cuvee, its richness, energy and precision defining the Alphonse Mellot style. This 100% Sauvignon white wine has a floral and fruity nose combining white flowers with citrus fruits, a resplendent golden robe with glints of green, and a lively, refreshing palate.
Fish tartare, smoked salmon or girolle mushroom omelette will go perfectly with La Moussière’s freshness and purity. Although it is certainly a highly seductive wine in its present state of maturity, its full breadth will only reveal itself after a few years’ cellaring.
- Terroir and surface area : 25 hectares of so-called “Saint Doulchard” kimmeridgian marl and limestone soils.
- Average age of vines : 55 years old.
- Vineyard : organic (FR-BIO-01) and biodynamic (monitored by ECOCERT France SAS) wine. BIODYVIN certified.
- Harvesting : manually harvested into 25-kg crates. Severe table sorting and gentle pressing.
- Maturing : eight to ten months, 1/3 in new half-hogsheads and 2/3 in vats. End of maturing en masse for two to three months.
- Bottling : depending on the lunar cycle. On the estate.